News Flash

City of Tavares

Posted on: June 2, 2019

Marina & Seaplane Base: City Council approves removal of the Marina Pilings

Image of Antique Boat and American Flag Boating in Lake Dora

Update #8: Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Big news!  City Council approved and authorize the execution of a contract between the City and Haskell Company and authorize staff to issue a Notice to Proceed (NTP) for the scope of work. (See below for details).

Work is about to begin. In the meantime, many boaters and seaplane pilots are enjoying mooring up along the Tavares shoreline, fueling at the fuel pumps or unloading and loading passengers at the temporary docks. The Tavares Marina & Seaplane Base is located at 150 E Ruby Street. For more please call 352.742.6267.

How long does it take to build a large city project?

The rule of thumb in a typical governmental agency is that it takes:

  1. One year to decide whether to do the project (The docks were already built so we don’t have to spend the time deciding).
  2. One year to find the money (The good news is the city had purchased “replacement insurance and betterment insurance” on the Marina and Seaplane Base).
  3. One year to design (currently nearing completion), engineer and permit a project (obtain permits from the State of Florida Department of Environmental Protection, United States Army Corps of Engineers, and St. John’s Water Management District).
  4. One year to construct a project — and that’s a fast-track community project.

The Tavares Pavilion on the Lake took six years to build, and the new Public Safety Complex took seven years to build.


When are the docks going to return re-built?

AGENDA SUMMARY TAVARES CITY COUNCIL 10/16/2019

AGENDA TAB NO.: 9

SUBJECT TITLE: Approval of Agreement With Haskell Company for Removal of Marina Pilings

(Economic Development)

OBJECTIVE:

To approve a construction contract with the Haskell Company to remove the concrete and wooden

pilings to "make way" for the seaplane base and marina rebuild facilities that were destroyed by

Hurricane Irma.

SUMMARY:

Previously the City Council and Insurance Company approved the selection of Haskell Company of Jacksonville FL, through a competitive Request for Qualifications (RFQ) solicitation, for Design/Build services of the reconstruction of the Seaplane Base & Marina. Council and the insurance company approved a preliminary services agreement which was executed on July 24th, 2018 and a Notice to Proceed (NTP) for engineering & design services was issued on August 1, 2018. This phase currently stands at approximately 95% complete. Upon completion, in the coming weeks, Haskell will provide a complete set of construction documents and a Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) Proposal for Council's consideration.

The 95% re-build plans call for the removal of the existing pilings as they are not usable because:

1) They were compromised by the Hurricane

2) They are in the wrong configuration for the re-build and

3) They are in the wrong location for the re-build.

Staff has negotiated a contract in the amount of $294,683 with Haskell to remove all the existing piles which has been approved by the insurance company at 98% reimbursement. The remaining 2% has previously heen budgeted by the City. 


Facebook Twitter Email