- Apply to Become a Tavares Police Officer
Apply to Become a Tavares Police Officer
Are you looking to fulfill your dream of becoming a Tavares Police Officer?
The Tavares Police Department hires the finest and most qualified candidates to help reduce crime and maintain livable city neighborhoods. Our police officers receive competitive salaries, paid vacation time, paid sick leave, Florida State Retirement (FRS), and medical and life insurance benefits.
SteCheck Your Eligibility
Do you have what it takes to become a Tavares Police Officer? Here are the basic requirements:
- Attend the Police Academy as a non-certified recruit
- Applicants must have a passing score on the Florida Department of Law Enforcement Basic Abilities Test (FDLE BAT) examination in the area of law enforcement prior to attending orientation. Proof is not required to be uploaded at the time of application. Proof of passing examination scores is verified at the time of orientation. The FDLE BAT can be taken at the Law Enforcement Basic Recruit Training Program at Lake Tech or any other authorized provider at the applicants' expense. For information on the FDLE BAT, visit the Lake Tech college page or the FDLE/Pearson test page
NOTE: BATs administered before August 15, 2019, will still be valid for four years from the testing or amended date. BATs administered after August 14, 2019, by any vendor other than Pearson VUE will be declared invalid and results will not be placed in the Automated Training Management System (ATMS).
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Must have a high-school diploma or equivalent, although a college degree is preferred.
- Must have a good work history.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
- Must be in good physical condition and of good moral character.
- Vision must be correctable to 20/40 in each eye.
- Per Florida Statute 943.13, applicants must not have been convicted of any felony or misdemeanor involving perjury or a false statement, or have received a dishonorable discharge from any of the Armed Forces of the United States. Other criminal histories may disqualify applicants specifically domestic violence.
- No pending criminal charges.
- Must pass a physical agility assessment, panel interview, background investigation, medical screening, and psychological exam.
Step 2Fill out an application
This application will help determine if you are qualified for the job (button below). Current employment opportunities
STake your Physical Assessment and attend an interview with the recruiting staff
If your full application is approved, we will contact you to schedule a Physical Assessment and an interview with the recruiting staff.
- Interview with the recruiting staff on the same day of your physical assessment test we will schedule you for an interview with the recruiting staff.
- The Physical Assessment requires candidates to run the Lake County Institute of Public Safety obstacle course in 8 minutes or less.
If you complete the Physical Assessment and the interview the next steps are.
Step 5.Background Investigation and second interview
- We will conduct a background investigation. If you pass, we will schedule your second interview with the recruiting staff.
- Successful candidates will get a conditional offer of employment after this interview.
- If you are unsuccessful at this step, you can re-apply after a six-month waiting period.
Complete the final requirements
Once you get the written conditional offer from the Human Resources Department, you will complete:
- Medical examination
- Drug testing
- Psychological assessment
- Firearm qualification
If you pass these remaining steps, you will:
- Start the City of Tavares Police Department orientation for certified officers
For more information email DScola@tavares.org
First-Year Officer Pay
$45,176 Base starting salary
1,040 Night shift differential
3,388 Built-in overtime
3,128 Holiday pay (144 hours)
$52,732 First year
Additional First-Year Benefits
- 1.5% salary increase after first-year probation
- 12 paid holidays
- 1 paid personal day
- 96 hours of sick leave
- 120 hours of vacation leave
- Florida State Retirement (FRS)
- $375 yearly wellness benefit
- Yearly Physical Agility Test <8 minutes = 1 day off
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
- Special detail pay rate $45/hr. $55/hr. (holiday rate)
- State incentive pay max. out at $1,560
- Emergency call-in pay two times the hourly rate
- Workout on duty on-site department gym
- Gun Range on-site indoors air-conditioned
- Take home Vehicle
- Outer Carry Vests
- BDU uniforms
- Department-issued Oakleys
- $200 shoe allowance
- $150 additional equipment allowance